Thursday, January 3, 2013

2013: Harnessing the Chaos

Well, I'm back! I have every intention of making a weekly (maybe more) appearance in the blogosphere in this new year. Time got away from me last year. I believe it was valentine's day when I last posted. I let my husband read it and he was all teary when he finished so I thought maybe I couldn't out-do that post and I just didn't return. There were a few times when I thought "I should take pictures and blog about this craft or this fabulous recipe" but I didn't. I just engaged the kids and carried on with my day. After all, when there are only a few people reading what you have to say it seems lost. Especially when I could be just horsing around with the boys or something!

I spent 3 years in University learning how to help others achieve the goals they set out to do, it's about time I start helping myself. I know a lot about goal-setting, but this is the important part: the goals must be S.M.A.R.T.
An acronym:
                     Specific
                       Measurable
                         Attainable
                           Relevant
                             Time-bound


So here goes nothing. I typically don't make New Year's Resolutions because I prefer to just make a change if I need to make a change. This year is different. I have been procrastinating (as usual) on a lot of things (partly because I'm busy and partly because I feel a bit overwhelmed by all of the stuff that needs to get done in a day, week, month or year) and it's time I buckle down and just do it. As much as I would love it, I don't think anyone else is going to do this stuff for me! Blogging more is on the top of my "To Do List" so I've decided to use this blog as a form of accountability for myself.

Here's how it will go down: I'm going to tell you about the things I'd like to accomplish (SPECIFIC) and when I'd like to accomplish them by (TIME-BOUND). Each week I will give myself a challenge of sorts and I will either post throughout the week on random days to show you what I'm doing (MEASURABLE) or save it all for one big post seven days later. I believe that all of the following goals are ATTAINABLE and RELEVANT to my greater goal of harnessing the chaos in my life. By the end of the year I'll have everything finished and the blog to prove it. You have a job too: bring your friends to the blog so I don't feel like I'm talking to myself! And please for the love of everything chocolate give me advice, suggestions, encouragement... tell me about what you're working on too.

A Year of Improvement
(in no particular order)
  • Weekly Blogging
  • Open my Etsy Shop
  • Take One hour daily to myself 
    • yoga 3x/wk, zumba 2x/wk and running 2x/wk
  • GET ORGANIZED (the bain of my existence)
    • Linen Closet
    • Desk
    • Spice Cabinet
    • Recipes
    • Toys
    • Boys' Bedroom
    • Craft Area
    • Photos/Albums
    • Basement
    • Apron Orders
  • Sew 8hrs/wk
  • Create a schedule for all of my new tasks (THIS WEEK's CHALLENGE)
    • exercise
    • sewing
    • crafting/schooling
    • cleaning
    • menu planning
  • Budget (ugh)
  • Create a menu plan 
This week's challenge is to plan my week. I'd like to keep this simple - a one or two week schedule of tasks. It will include my exercise, sewing, crafting/schooling/cleaning and menu planning schedules. Wish me luck!! See you Next Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. Same page here... I look forward to being inspired by your success! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. Love the gentle accountability approach. I am really looking forward to reading and sharing your posts :) I feel so lucky to know you, cool mama!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having you in my life, Rachel! Thanks for the love!

      Delete